Review - "Days of Blood and Starlight"

Book Review: "Days of Blood & Starlight" (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #2) - Laini Taylor

Art student and monster’s apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is—and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.
In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she’ll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.
While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope.
But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream? 



“Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a new way of living—one without massacres and torn throats and bonfires of the fallen, without revenants or bastard armies or children ripped from their mothers’ arms to take their turn in the killing and dying.”




This is not that world.
It’s been two days since I’ve finished this book and I’m still not over it. To be honest, the first one was great but it didn’t instantly become one of my favourites. But “Days of Blood and Starlight” changed everything. This is the best sequel I’ve read since … EVER.
Reading this was one hell of a roller-coaster ride. Every chapter ends in a cliff-hanger that keeps you on the edge of your seat (or in my case, my bed … which is not recommendable .. trust me)
What I absolutely adore about these books is how different they are from the typical YA-books nowadays with the love triangles and special snowflake-characters.
Oh trust me, this book HAS some of those mentioned above … but what makes this book so different … so special is the way how it’s handled. The way it’s written, the characters, the pacing, THE DEPTH and the ~ mysterious mist ~ (you know some books have it … it’s like the it-factor with celebrities) that encases this all. Laini Taylor is amazing. The I-could-worship-the-ground-she-walks-on kind of amazing. I could possibly write a book talking about how great her writing is but I’m trying to keep this short. But one thing I gotta say is about the love story of Karou and Akiva: as tragic and painful as it is, it is believable. It’s not always dopey, sappy, happiness and sunshine kind of love story. They don’t make up after two pages. They fight. They know they did wrong. They know that there’s no coming back from that. They try to change (and they actually do), they try to redeem themselves and nothing gets excused (which is kind of refreshing for change).
And trust me, the love story is not the main aspect of the books, not BY FAR. But the war, the violence, the pain and death (I’m still crying) is. The slavery of the chimeras, their fight for freedom. The Angels’ aren’t having the times of their lives either (especially the emperor’s bastards, his entire harem … god so many). But no one is innocent. There’s no black and white - no real distinction between good and bad. There are shades of grey (and trust me, there are more than 50).
This book managed something that no book has since … a long time: it made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me actually fall from my bed, clutch my chest and managed to give me goose bumps. And I loved every single part of it.









0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.