Review - "Oasis"

"Oasis" (The Last Humans, Book #1) by Dima Zales 


A new dystopian/post-apocalyptic series from a New York Timesbestselling author 

My name is Theo, and I'm a resident of Oasis, the last habitable area on Earth. It's meant to be a paradise, a place where we are all content. Vulgarity, violence, insanity, and other ills are but a distant memory, and even death no longer plagues us.

I was once content too, but now I'm different. Now I hear a voice in my head, and she tells me things no imaginary friend should know. Her name is Phoe, and she is my delusion.

Or is she?

Note: This book contains some strong language. We felt it was important for the censorship theme of the novel. If such words offend you, you might not enjoy this book.




*I want to thank NetGalley for giving me the chance to sneak an early peek into this* 


Okay ... so again, I requested this for obvious shallow reasons because that cover really intrigued me and the plot sounded quite interesting. I'm always a sucker for good sci-fi and this sounded promising. So the story is about Theo, a 23-year old, who is part of the so called Youth of Oasis, the only existing place after Earth was destroyed by technology and AIs. One day, Theo hears this voice inside his head, which belongs to a girl (who would have guessed - there is some romance) named Phoe (pronounced "fee" for reasons). In a world where cursing is prohibited and mental illness, depression and love are not accepted, Theo's only goal is to help Phoe remember something she was forced to forget. Add some more cliché science and some swear words, mix all of this with The 100 and The Giver and voila you get "Oasis" by Dima Zales. (read the story and you'll understand why The 100 & The Giver, trust me). 

Like I said, it sounded promising, the end result - well, let's put it like this - a lot of the story was missing. The world building, the characterization etc., there wasn't just enough of it. I couldn't connect to the MC because I still don't understand what his intentions are and why he keeps doing the things he does. Because he got the hots for Phoe? Because he is bored? Because of what happend to his friend? I need some info, man. The story wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. The overall idea was interesting, but like I said before, it just seemed like a (poor) imitation of something else.

It had some semi-funny one-liners tho, like this one: 

"Do you know what this is?" The old man holds the baton in front of me threateningly. 
"Something you should shove up your ass?" 

which again reminds me of The 100: 
































0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.