Review - "False Idols"

"False Idols" (Aeon #1) by Alexis Grove 


In the year 2047 neural implants have given a small slice of the population superhuman abilities. Are these Aeons brilliant humanitarians dedicated to saving civilization, or venal psychopaths bent on its destruction?

When Sarah Fenton is recruited out of her orphanage into a mysterious government program, this question becomes her mission. Answering it incorrectly could spell the end of the human race.

Her only path to the truth lies in beguiling an Aeon named Nick Lal, the reclusive scion of one of the planet’s wealthiest families. Even as she realizes she’s falling in love with him, she begins to fear that he is not as innocent as he appears.

As famine and religious strife threaten to push the nation into a three-way civil war, Sarah’s time runs short. Will she be wily enough to choose correctly and save the world?

False Idols is the fast paced first novel in the Aeon trilogy by Alexis Grove.

*I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley for an honest review*


Okay I've been pretty busy with Uni ... which means I've been putting off my reading and review writing for a loooong time. Ya know when I finished this book? May 8th. And now I have no clue what I was going to say about it. Ugh I definitely need a book journal dammit. 

So lemme try to sum this up real quick ..

False Idols is set in a kinda dystopian world, where a handful of people (mostly young adults) are given an implant = Aeons. These implants improve their skills and give them the ability to freely engage in the web - which they call Ether here. 
So these people with the implants are kinda the baddies (not all of them of course) and they're trying to take over the world. Sarah Fenton, one of the main protagonists, is recruited as part of a task force against these Aeons. 

My thoughts .. well the story was really really fast paced. I mean, some times a fast paced story is a good idea - you know when you don't have really complex world buildings etc. But in False Idols it was too fast. There was a lot of tech expressions involved and so on which made it really hard for me to follow. Also, the constantly changing POVs threw me off as well, because in my opinion, some weren't even necessary - because of this the characters lacked development, I just couldn't comprehend why certain characters did the things they did etc. Additionally, instant love  - JUST NO. 

So this is why I gave False Idols 2 stars and I probably won't read the sequel(s); I mean it did end in sort of cliffhanger way but it didn't really captivate me or make me interested. 


























0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.