Review - "Uglies"

"Uglies" (Uglies #1) by Scott Westerfeld


Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. In just a few weeks she'll have the operation that will turn her from a repellent ugly into a stunning pretty. And as a pretty, she'll be catapulted into a high-tech paradise where her only job is to have fun.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to become a pretty. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world-- and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally a choice: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. Tally's choice will change her world forever...


         
*actual rating 3.75 Stars


          

I know I'm pretty late to the party. I mean, this book is about 11 years old. This has been on my TBR for probably as long as that. And tbh, I don't have an excuse why I haven't picked this up earlier. But better late than never, right? 



Now about the book; I think the summary above pretty much tells what the plot is. Going beyond that would just mean spoilers for anyone who hasn't read it yet. 
It is a dystopian novel, obviously - basically it got released before the whole hype started. The society is divided. The different factions have names like "littlies" (the kids), "crumblies" (the older people), then there's the old pretties, middle pretties and the pretties, as well as the specials and the uglies. 

The main protagonist, named Tally Youngblood (points for the creativity lol) is an ugly. At the age of 16 all the uglies undergo an operation, which turns them pretty. Now this is a pretty f--cked up thing, if you ask me. No diversity, no singularity - just sameness. 
About a month before her birthday, Tally meets Shay, a rebellious girl just like herself. But whereas Tally wants to become a pretty, Shay believes in the uniqueness of being different. Just before they're both meant to undergo the operation, Shay tells Tally that she wants to leave Uglyville (yeah I know) and go this place called The Smoke, where all the other people, who share her point of view, live. 
Tally doesn't go with her, of course, but certain circumstances that involve the leadership of their community, she is blackmailed to do so. But she is not going there to join them, but rather to betray them. 
The book takes its sweet time. What I mean by this is, for about 200ish pages - absolutely nothing interesting happens. It's just you, Tally and her inner monologues. Which is, okay, not so bad, you got to know her better but still it was kinda boring. 
And then she goes to Smoke and nothing really happens there as well for a 100 pages. Except the worst case of insta-love. Which is still a no-go for me. 

I do like the overall idea and I always love a good Dystopian novel. However, it did take me a long time to finish this (because it was so boring at the beginning and only picked up a little towards the end) and the insta-love thingy ... 3.75 Stars it is. I don't know, 4 felt like too much and 3.5 was just not enough, so yeah ... 
I do plan on finishing the series tho, because like I said, I do like the overall concept and I'm really hoping the characters will have more development. (and I'm really hoping there won't be a love triangle - the one in this I don't really count, cause saying that someone is your boyfriend (and this person doesn't know they're your boyfriend) doesn't make them your boyfriend). 





        

Title: Uglies (Uglies #1)

Author: Scott Westerfeld   

Pub. Date: February 8th 2005

Pages: 425

Publisher: Simon Pulse

ISBN: 9780689865381

Genre: YA; Science-Fiction; Dystopia; 


















0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.