Review - "We Were Liars"

"We Were Liars" by E. Lockhart 

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from New York Times bestselling author, National Book Award finalist, and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 

Read it.

And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.




         



        

Well .. where do I start with this one? First of all, this has been on my TBR list for such a long time and I did not think I would be picking it up any time soon. But then I saw it on ReBuy (a German site where I tend to buy my books) and it was really cheap so I thought why not? Still did not think I would read it so soon, because I tend to buy books and keep them on my shelves and not read them for a very long time. Eventually, I decided that spending over a month on a book I have to read for class is long enough and that I need a break. 
So this is how I decided to pick up "We Were Liars" by E. Lockhart. It's pretty short and the chapters are short as well so it was perfect. I finished it pretty fast and now I'm a total mess. This book is not what you expect it to be. You think it's going one direction and then it flips and goes a completely different one. I did not expect it to end the way it did. It was fantastic. It made me cry and question some things, but damn it was fantastic. The writing is so beautiful and unique and definitely something that sticks out the most. The characterization was okay and the world building also (considering it's only 227 pages). But the writing is what keeps you going with this one. It punches you in the face and you're like "woah". 

The book tells the story of the Sinclair family - or Cadence Sinclair to be exact. She is the eldest grandchild of this well-known and prestigious family that is unhealthily rich and spends their holidays on a private island. Cadence loves spending her time with her cousins, Johnny and Mirren, and with Johnny's best friend Gat. However, the family is not as perfect as they make it out to be. The Sinclair daughters fight over the estate and the inheritance and money in general. They drag the children (Cadence, Mirren and Johnny) into it and try to manipulate their own father so they give him the best and the most expensive. The four teens, or "Liars" as they are called, hate it and don't want to be part of this mess. One day, a decision leads to an unexpected twist. 

I'm trying to make this as spoiler-free as possible for you guys. Trust me, going blind into this book is the best. I did go blind into this. I had no idea what this was really about. And I did not end up being disappointed. But don't let me tell you things, read it and find out for yourselves. 


        


Title: We Were Liars 

Author: E. Lockhart

Pub.Date: May 13th 2014

Pages: 227

Publisher: Hot Key Books

ISBN: 9781471403989

Genre: YA; Contemporary; Romance; Mystery; Fiction 


















0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.